We have placed cookies on your computer to help make this website better. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.
Product feed instructions
Basic feed requirements
A data feed is a text file containing all your product information. You need to provide your feed following all the below requirements.
- Text format: The file has to be in text format, generally xml, txt, csv, html, php or asp. Unfortunately we can’t accept the data feed in Microsoft Excel .xls format or any other non-text formats.
- FTP or HTTP address location: You will need an FTP or HTTP address location that we can collect your file from each day (i.e. ftp://pricerunner:email@example.com or www.homepage.com/pricerunner.csv.). If you don’t have a server where you can post the data then please contact the PriceRunner operations team to discuss other ways of sending us your feed. Please note we do not host feeds.
- Keep the feed URL and name unchanged. Don’t include dates of updates or any other information in the URL. The URL and name must always be the same so we can match it.
- Use one of these encoding formats for the feed: iso-latin-1, iso-8859-1 or utf-8.
- Make sure that the data feed contains the current prices.
- Do not include any html markups within the fields in the data feed.
- Please be aware that if you limit your feed to less than 80% of your online product inventory (which must be at least 100 products) then we may have to use a previous version of your feed. If the limited feed persists then we may have to deactivate your account. Please talk to your account manager if you have any questions on this.
- The products you list must all be in new condition, we don’t accept refurbished, damaged or secondhand items.
- If you’re listing fragrances then you’ll need to provide this information in the feed:
|Sort||EDT (eau de Toilette) or EDP (eau de Parfum)||EDT|
|Size||Size in ml/oz||50ml|
Fields to include in your feed
There is a list and description below of the information fields that the feed should contain. Please note that:
- Please follow the sequence and structure below and in the Sample Product Feed csv file precisely.
- Some fields are MANDATORY and we won’t be able to list you without them. Some fields are RECOMMENDED and we strongly encourage you to include all of those to optimize your listing. There are also a couple of OPTIONAL fields which you can include if you wish.
- If you don’t include a delivery cost in your feed then please contact the operations team or your account manager to advise how you calculate delivery costs for your products.
A unique product ID. Normally the one used on your website. Please note that:
The price you charge for the item. Comma or dot separated. The price must:
Important – In case there are mail-in-rebates available for the product, the price you list MUST be the price the consumer pays, not the price after the MIR. If you have instant rebates then you must provide the actual price paid at checkout including the rebate in your feed.
|Manufacturer||This information is important to help us to match your products.||Sony||MANDATORY|
|Product / Model Name||If the product is an accessory for another product, it’s important that this is included in the name, for example “Battery for Nokia 6230”.||Powershot SD300||MANDATORY|
To match your products as quickly as possible please use the same categories as PriceRunner.
The category names should be as descriptive as possible. A category name like “Accessories” or “Other products” makes it difficult for us to match the products. “Accessories mobile phones” is much easier for us to match correctly.
|Product URL||The URL to the product on your website.||
A URL to an image of the product on your site/server.
|RECOMMENDED MANDATORY FOR NON-COMPARISON CATEGORIES (eg clothes, shoes, beauty)|
The unique product ID used by the manufacturer.
This information increases our matching speed significantly and is mandatory for Computing products.
|V11H187020||RECOMMENDED MANDATORY FOR COMPUTING CATEGORY|
Only include delivery cost if it’s not based on location.
|Availability||Stock availability, please use either “In Stock” or “Out of Stock”||In Stock||RECOMMENDED|
|Delivery Time||Delivery time from time of order to product arriving with customer.||Delivers in 5-7 days||RECOMMENDED|
A description of the product.
||Long sleeve zip-neck sweater. 100% cotton.||RECOMMENDED|
|EAN or UPC||
A unique universal product code to identify an individual item and the manufacturer.
|012569732162 or 4975769285394||RECOMMENDED|
You can place a message next to your logo on your listings.
|Product Code (PRID)||
This is useful for you to match your own products.
The PriceRunner product code (PRID) can be found in the URL string
e.g. http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/2-1215526/TVs/Panasonic-Viera-TX-P50S10-Compare-Prices has a product code of 1215526.
A list of product IDs is available from your account manager.
Product Feed FAQs
Which is the best product feed format to use?
We’re happy to receive your feed in any text format, most commonly xml, csv or txt files.
Can you work with any plug-ins/add-ins for the feed ie Magento?
No, unfortunately our systems don’t work with any type of plug-ins. We can accept Magento feeds as long as no plug-ins are used and they are in xml format.
Do you accept feeds through feed management companies ie ChannelAdvisor, Feed Optimise, Intelligent Reach, Fuse Pump?
Yes, we can accept feeds from any feed management company as long as they are in one of the required formats (xml, csv or txt).
Can you accept feeds in the same format as Google or any other similar partner?
Yes we can, but we do have slightly different mandatory fields to Google and some other partners so you’ll need to make sure they are all included. Please check the above instructions and the Sample Feed for more details. If you’re not able to provide all the mandatory information we can try to scrape your site but this isn’t always technically possible.
Can I exclude products from the feed that I send to PriceRunner?
It’s up to you to manage the feed you send to us but we recommend starting off with your full product range so we can optimise your account to find the sweet spots. In some instances we may be able to exclude certain categories for you but this will be on a case by case base. If we’re scraping your site to generate the product feed then we’re not able to exclude any products.
How and when can you do a product scrape of my site?
This depends on the structure of your website. It should only take two working days to do a test scrape so we can see whether it’s possible and two more working days to get your account live after that.
When is the feed uploaded onto PriceRunner?
All the product feeds on our site are uploaded between midnight and 4am each night. We’re only able to upload feed updates once a day as it does impact our site load time, which is why we do it at night. Unlike some comparison sites we use our own database to ensure we have the most accurate data but this does slightly limit our flexibility with the update time as we’re dealing with over 4 million products.
Product Feed Checklist
- Check you’ve given the correct URL
- Make sure all headers match the listings instructions and sample feed
- Check that all mandatory fields are included
- Make sure each mandatory field has data throughout the column
- Check category information in your feed, make sure that categories are all separated clearly with the correct products in each one.
If you have any questions at all please contact your account manager.